Today, while I was avoiding paying attention in Spanish class I was reading Facebook (please don't judge me). I saw a post that was actually meaningful in nature, which is something new and is why it caught my attention. The post was a political post about why someone will vote for Romney instead of Obama. taxes. With all the talk about the economy and government funded programs, it is forgotten how those are paid for.
OK, I heard a report on the radio while driving to work about how the immigrant population in Northern Virginia will most likely vote for the Obama administration in November because they believe his policies will best take care of them. What I don't understand is how no one is telling them that if the Obama administration continues to increase spending that has to be paid by tax payers, families/individuals like me will have to cut the jobs of the people I hire to help me. I for one will most likely have to lay off four separate independents/small business people to cut my monthly household expenses to offset the impact to my income thanks to the Obama administration. How do you explain that to all those who believe the Obama administration will best take care of them?
This was a post from a Facebook friend that will remain anonymous by their request.
To me this post put into words my feelings that I could not put in to words. In the end raising taxes on the "upper class" will hurt everyone. Sure the so called rich people will survive, but what will happen to the man who owns the small business that helps them with their yards? Well folks, he will probably go out of business. The money the "rich" man uses to pay him is call discretionary spending. That means when money gets tight with the "rich" man he will start cutting his ow yard instead of helping out a small business. This same principal is applied to the cleaning service that the "rich" man uses.
Take it or leave it, it is just food for thought.
This comment has been removed by the author.
ReplyDeleteThis comment has been removed by the author.
ReplyDelete(Previous posts edited for silly grammar mistakes.)
ReplyDeleteThere are some interesting things going on here, but let me first highlight some content issues, then formatting issues. First, to content. I know your friend wants to stay anonymous, that's no problem. But what kind of business do they own? How are the taxes set up now, and how would that change for their business specifically? See, I can't agree or disagree (or make a decision) on the validity of your friend's comment until I have more background. What is President Obama's plan for small businesses (or is it a large business? We don't know). Until readers have that information, they'll not be fully informed. So your analysis could be to talk to the friend, get some data, then look to the Obama campaign and see what their policy position is on the size/type of business. Then make that argument. I know that will be powerful.
To the formatting: remember, this is a serious topic, so take the presentation just as seriously. When you mention Facebook in class, we will judge you (I know you knew that). It makes you look less serious, and so how then will readers take you seriously? Project the image you want to convey. And that goes along with the all caps and overpunctuation. Remember--this post is for scholarly credit. Exude the scholar here. You can have fun with the way you phrase things...don't let overpunctuation reflect poorly on your important discussion.
Finally--remind me to show you how to set those quotes off so that they read as "excerpts": then you won't need the italics.