WOW. This week had one of the major events of the election season...the republican national convention! No matter which side of the aisle you stand on this is an informative and huge event. If you're a democrat this event shows you what you are up against in the coming weeks. If you happen to stand on the right side of the aisle they attempt to show you who you are voting for, giving you a reason the vote for Mitt and not just against Obama.
In my short and sweet summary, it was one of the better conventions I have seen. The speakers were diverse and well spoken. Which is good, because one of the common arguments is that that republicans are a " bunch of old white guys" which simply is not true. The other big thing I saw was the speakers showing another side of Mitt that we hardly ever see. They explained his caring and compassionate side. There were many stories about all the good things he has done. One thing I did not realize was is how bad the prep for the Salt Lake City Olympics was until Romney took over the project. All of these stories made me feel better about Romney as a person.
Of course the night would not be complete without a little bit of political humor. I personally think Clint was the best speech of the night. His speech showed what he thought Obama was doing incorrectly while throwing in a couple one liners. The video is roughly twelve minutes long and I think it gives good insight into the republican mind. Here is the link. I think its a little funny and a little strange. Eastwood will probably get a lot of heat for this video, but it should serve as a rallying cry for republicans.
Hi Alex,
ReplyDeleteYour post seems to drop off when you discuss Clint Eastwood...I'd love to know what you thought of that. Was he serious? Was his speech a benefit or a detraction from the event?
And expand on Mitt; describe that side of him you mention. I was watching news this morning and I came across an interesting discussion about the RNC speakers, especially Ann Romney. One commentator said she was speaking as if politics were the year 1912, in that her narrative was one of "c'mon women, we've all had my experiences..." and that many watchers didn't actually (those unmarried, without children, without the experience as the stay-at-home mom). So while there was an array of different types of people on the podium, I wonder what you thought of the actual messages? Were they uniting? Will this convention do well for Romney in the long run? I guess we'll find out in November.
Yes ma'am thank you for pointing that out. That's what I get for not proof reading. I made a couple changes to that area to both fix the problem and answer your questions.
ReplyDeleteTo be 100% truthful I missed the convention live. The brown stinky stuff hit the fan at work and I had two all nighters this week. I've been playing catch up and watching the speeches on you-tube and reading them online.
I personally didn't get that impression from Ms.Romney, but the trouble with words is that everyone will perceive them differently. In her speech she specifically said that single mothers are one of the groups that hold this country together.