The results in Virginia were very close. Every vote counted here. Obama won Virginia by a little over 100,000 votes. In a state that populated that is very close. What is interesting is that some of the rural counties that normally tend to vote democrat went to Romney. Also is seems that northern Virginia specifically Fairfax and Loudoun county are close to the epicenter of the democratic growth in Virginia. That should be an interesting trend to watch.
North Carolina was also an extremely close race. With Romney winning it by under 100,00 votes. Again North Carolina was another state where every vote counted.
One state that was very interesting to watch last night was Ohio. Most people believed that Romney needed Ohio to win the race. Obama jumped out to a very early lead when the early election ballots and when the live ballots came in the race tightened up. Something that surprised me is that when Ohio was called for Obama, he was only up by something like 962 votes. I find it absolutely amazing the mathematicians could call it when it was that close.
The Aftermath
Well after hundreds of millions of dollars spent not a lot has changed. Obama is still president. The democrats still control the senate and the republicans control the house. Seems kind of like a waste to me.
As we the people look forward to the future there are some super challenges ahead for us all. We have a rising threat in Iran. A huge debt from China. We have not passed a budget in four years. Our politicians refuse to work together and sequestration looming on the horizon. These will be a tough four years for American, but we can rise through them and continue to be great. We must stick together and hold our politicians accountable for their actions.
Works Cited
Politico. 2012 Presidential Election. 6-7
November 2012. 7 November 2012
<http://www.politico.com/2012-election/map/#/President/2012/>.
I totally understand your frustration about the budget. Did you know that the last real budget that was passed by Congress was in 1997, and that was with a bipartisan effort of Clinton and Gingrich? So it seems that both parties in the last 14 or so years have had trouble agreeing to do just about anything.
ReplyDeleteI think you have some great data here. But make sure to name your sources in each paragraph were used. Consider naming sources, for example, by stating which network or newspaper you saw the map of states distribution? And add to that...there might have been a 26/24 split per state, but the votes distribution was just shy of 3,000,000 in favor of President Obama. What does that mean statistically? (Unpack it for your readers).
I also find it amazing when statisticians call an election so early before all the votes are in. If you're interested, that would make a very interesting additional post...
You have an extraordinary amount of information about politics. I have been writing about the current president election. I am pleased with the results but I will agree, not much has seemed to be changed. This was a close race. When I was following on the news, right down to the last second, I couldn't believe how neck and neck they were. I kept hearing that Romney’s won it in this state, Romney’s won it that state then Obama came out with a few wins. It seemed almost that Romney was going to win. Florida's always messing up with their vote system, they messed up too when Al Gore and Bush were running. I don't think Florida’s vote counted in this election, they were too late and Obama still won either way. Your blog though, excellent work, real easy to follow and just by the summery, it has fed me more about politics than what I already knew.
ReplyDelete