Thursday, October 4, 2012

The Presidential Debate...a Day Late

I'm a tad late with this post. For good reason though. Last night was the presidential debate and I wanted to wait until today to do a post so I could take a look and see and analyze what everyone is saying. I for one am glad I waited. Some exciting stuff went down today, well exciting if you're into politics.

The Great Debate

Well actually, the "debate" was not all that great. In my humble opinion neither candidate went in for a kill shot so to speak. It did not appear that either candidate was trying to win. Isn't that the point of a debate?

Each candidate made their point. They both also made their point well, but they were both on the weaker side when they went to attack each others "plans for recovery".

I think that the nearest either candidate got to attacking the other on his opinion was this moment from Mr. Romney. The man who posted this on YouTube used boxing terminology to describe it and I agree with it. Romney used a couple nice jabs to set him up and then threw a hay maker to win round one.


The Pundents

It is always entertaining to read what the analysts have to say about the debate or anything else political related for that matter.

According to this article by the Associated Press on www.WashingtonPost.com;
       "Challenger Mitt Romney used Wednesday’s debate to put President Barack Obama on the defensive on health care, jobs and other issues. The president’s reluctance to fire back harshly gave new hope to Republican partisans."
When the Washington Post is saying Romney won, you know he did something right. Or at the very least didn't screw up too terribly.

Now Al Gore has come out and said why he believes that Obama lost the debate in some people's mind. The thin air in Denver through Obama off his game.Hard to believe, I know so I will let Mr. Gore explain it for me,
 "Obama arrived in Denver at 2 p.m. today, just a few hours before the debate started. Romney did his debate prep in Denver. When you go to 5,000 feet, and you only have a few hours to adjust, I don't know" 
Actually that wasn't helpful in explaining it at all. Again this is just my opinion, but I think the lack of a teleprompter is to blame. When he is doing a prepared speech in a controlled environment Mr. Obama is a wonderful speaker. Unfortunately  when he does not have a teleprompter or is in a hostile environment he does not do too well. Also Bill Maher has this opinion too. Here he is quoted by Fox News, "I can't believe i'm saying this, but Obama looks like he DOES need a teleprompter,[Text is not edited]".  Mr. Maher is an Obama supporter, so when he says Obama messed up, Obama messed up!

And the Winner is...

Honestly I think it was a tie, but judging on how people reacted and the flurry of activity from the left, I think the general consensus is that Romney won. He was able to keep the pressure on Obama fairly well and was aggressive without coming off as being overly rude. For his part, Obama look very tired. He appeared edgy and honestly he did not seem all that prepared. So I guess you could say he lost, but the real loser was Big Bird.



Works Cited

Fox News. 4 October 2012. 4 October 2012 <http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2012/10/04/gore-blames-denver-altitude-for-obama-debate-performance/>.
Press, Assiciated. Washington Post. 4 October 2012. 4 October 2012 <http://www.washingtonpost.com/politics/analysis-in-first-presidential-debate-romney-is-aggressor-obama-is-careful-in-pushing-back/2012/10/04/f44913f4-0dd7-11e2-ba6c-07bd866eb71a_story.html>.

 


1 comment:

  1. I cannot agree with you more. This post was spot-on as far as who won. Really, it was Romney by a nose (to use another sports analogy). He was aggressive and he really went off his normal message and Obama did not address the inconsistency. In that alone, Romney won the day.

    I like the headers and pundits (!) discussion. Is Al Gore a pundit? And too bad for Big Bird, eh? (I've heard more Big Bird jokes in the last day than I care to remember). What about adding in a few actual pundit reviews? I know Chris Matthews was having a seizure at one point. How about a juxtaposition of personalities? The papers were a nice addition.

    ReplyDelete